Call: 844.889.9229
or Contact Us Here
Motor Carrier Trucking Authority

As a Carrier Broker, you have a certain type of knack when it comes to being organized. While coordinating drivers with cargo, fulfilling deadlines, and developing new business would be enough to stress anyone else out, you do so with ease. The last thing you need on your plate is having to figure out how to go about getting your Broker Carrier Authority. Let us take the hassle out of this process with our New Broker Authority Package.

  • Broker Carrier Authority (MC #)
  • BOC3 Filing
  • Free quotes for Bond through our Insurance Division
  • All for only $460

Let us help you get the coverage and qualifications you need so you can run your outfit efficiently. Begin the process by clicking here or speak with us directly at 844-889-9229.

NASTC is here for you. We can help you file your IRS Form 2290 Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT) quickly and efficiently.

What is IRS Form 2290 Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT)?

IRS Form 2290 is used to file the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT). The annual tax period starts on July 1st. If a heavy vehicle is used in any month for the first time in that tax year, then HVUT must be filed with IRS by end of the following month. Owners of 25 or more vehicles with registered gross weights of 55,000 pounds or more are required to do mandatory e-filing.

NASTC can help you do just that.

Please follow this link to to begin your filing now.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need an EIN?
It is a good business practice to have a Federal Employer Identification Number for your company though not required if you are a sole proprietorship.

Do I need to set up my company as an llc?
You should if you are concerned about personal exposure to lawsuits or debts arising from your trucking operation.

How long is the process?     
Approximately four weeks.

What is a BOC-3 filing?
A Federal filing that typically designates legal agents in each of the fifty states to receive and forward legal documents which have been served.

When should I get my insurance?
Begin having your insurance quoted once you receive your DOT/MC numbers.  Towards the end of the mandatory waiting period, you will want to decide upon your provider, pay the premium, and have the agent file the coverage with the FMCSA.

How much coverage do I need?
A minimum of $750K in liability is required.  Cargo isn’t generally required by the government for most operations, however many shippers and brokers often insist upon at least $100K in cargo insurance.

Do you have factoring services?
Yes, NASTC has a long-standing relationship with a factoring company that can customize a cash flow program for your new endeavor.

What is the Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)?
Created by the Unified Carrier Registration Act of 2005, it replaced the former system of registering and collecting fees from vehicle operators engaged in interstate travel.  The annual fee must be paid each January by carriers and brokers.

Must I update my UCR receipt when I add/drop trucks?
No, not until your renewal time – even if it would make your fee higher.

Do I need a truck to start the process?
You can own or lease a truck, but you must have a truck to insure in order for the authority to go active.

What is the International Registration Plan?
It is a base/home state agreement which allows an apportioned CMV to travel through all of the contiguous states with only one license plate and cab card regsitration.

How do I get my apportioned plates?
Once your authority has reached authorized for hire status,  you may set up your IRP account by visiting your state’s Commercial Motor Vehicle division.  It is a good practice to call ahead to know exactly what your state requires you to bring with you.

What is an MCS-90?
It is proof of insurance on file with the FMCSA, aka Motor Carrier Policy Endorsement or Insurance Declaration Page.  Carriers must also maintain a copy of this at their place of business.

Must I have a physical address to get my authority?
Yes you must have a physical structure owned or leased by the company.  A post office box is not sufficient.

What is the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)?
A tax collection agreement among the forty-eight contiguous states to simplify the reporting and collection of fuel taxes when carriers operate in more than one jurisdiction.

Must I have a drug & alcohol program in place if I only have one driver?
Yes…not having a program is an auto-fail violation of the new entrant audit (382.115).

Do I need an EI

Here we have provided some important links that you may need to help your trucking company grow and prosper: - The National Association of Small Trucking Companies (NASTC) main website. - Home of Nastek National and the MYSTC trucking software. - Home of NASTC Insurance Services for all your trucking insurance needs. - NASTC's New Entrant Survival Training (NEST) website where you can get all the information you need to survive the trucking industry. - Website to help you file your IRS Form 2290 Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT)

Motor Carrier Trucking Authority Checklist

How do I start a trucking company?

How do I get my trucking authority?

These are 2 very important questions and you can use this list to start your trucking company or feel free to download the form below and print it out for your convenience.

Decide on name and organization (llc, inc, dba, etc.) of company

Obtain Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)

Obtain a business license if your state requires this

NASTC’s New Authority Plus Services program will get you your MC and DOT numbers, BOC-3 filing, and enroll you on our Drug & Alcohol program Research Insurance quotes and decide on provider who will then file the BMC-91

Pay for your Unified Carrier Registration receipt

Pay the IRS’ Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (Form 2290) online

Once waiting period is exhausted and numbers are in authorized status, set up International Registration Plan (IRP) at your state’s commercial motor vehicle division office to obtain your apportioned plate

While at DMV, enroll authority in IFTA and get stickers for your vehicles

Set up Driver Qualification files and begin recordkeeping


Download the Motor Carrier Trucking Authority Checklist Here

Get Your Motor Carrier Trucking Authority & Learn How To Start A Trucking Company Today!

Call: 844.889.9229